As one of the best zoos in the world, the Henry Doorly Zoo features interactive exhibits that transport visitors around the world. Named after Henry Doorly in 1963, the grounds have housed a collection of animals since 1895. Today, the zoo is home to many diverse habitats including:
- the Asian Highlands which are home to red pandas, the tiger and sloth bear, rhinos and more while making visitors feel as if they are on a walk through the Himilayas
- African Grasslands that spread out across almost 1/5 of the zoos total land are home to many of the different species including lions, elephants, giraffes, and cheetahs
- Lied Jungle is America’s largest indoor jungle and features waterfalls and caves to explore as visitors walk through to view the numerous species from all around the world
- Desert Dome can be seen long before visitors arrive at the zoo, inside it holds something new around every corner
- Kingdoms of the Night is hidden below the desert dome and is the largest nocturnal exhibit in the world, it features many different environments and multi-species exhibits
- Owen Sea Lion shores are a new exhibit that takes visitors to the Pacific Northwest with a variety of ways to interact with the sea lions
- and Scott Aquarium that holds the title of largest aquarium in a zoo and has exhibits from around the world with polar penguins and puffins, colorful tropical fish, a shark tunnel, and mesmerizing jellyfish
With 17,000 animals of 962 species, this 130 acre zoo promotes conservation worldwide by educating its visitors about animals and their habitats. With a railroad built in 1968, and a sky lift added in 2009, there are plenty of fun alternatives to walking around the zoo. With much of the zoo undergoing renovations over the last several years, there are many new experiences for all visitors.
From watching the bats in the jungle, touching the starfish in the aquarium, to feeding the giraffes, the Henry Doorly Zoo provides a plethora of interactive experiences that are fun for the whole family. The different worlds housed within the zoo are enough to inspire any child’s imagination, and the recent renovations are only making these different worlds more distinct.